Friday, February 21, 2014

Blog #5 Better known as Thank the Lord because I just caught up

Here we go. I have finally caught up with my prompts. It feels good to get things done.

Now I'm supposed to talk about my argument of fact and I only have the vaguest assumption as to what exactly that is so I'll look it up later, in greater detail.

Misconceptions that I intend to clear up:
 I do not think I've encountered too much of this.

What new information will I be providing?
 Nothing that hasn't already been researched, of course, but for my peers, I hope to bring to their attention that children go through multiple periods of development. I want them to look at their younger siblings, if applicable, and really think twice about the amount of time they're spending attached to their video games or the television. It is in the age groups of birth-6 years and 11-13 that their development is crucial.

Unknown issues I intend to bring up?
 Everyone knows that the minds of babies are like sponges, but they don't know that after that stage of development, children continue to grow and discover themselves and become more aware of the world, but how can children learn to function in a world they hardly ever see because their noses are glued to a bright little screen on their phone.
 As kids mature and go into their preteen years, they stop being so egocentric and this is where they're supposed to learn how to function as human beings who can problem solve and think in abstract ways, but there is no way that's going to happen if all they're doing is shouting profanities over their headsets as someone lands a headshot on their character in Call of Duty.
 This is where kids begin to lack empathy or proper mental processes and this is a serious problem.

What I want to make people understand is that games are fun, yes, but there absolutely has to be a limit, especially for kids undergoing crucial developmental points. A parent should NOT hand their Ipad over to keep their two year old quiet and a parent should also PAY ATTENTION to the ratings of certain video games. I mean, really. Don't complain about your kid's foul mouth when he probably learned it right off the video game.

Facts that will convince the audience will consist of lots of statistics that I need to get around to compiling.

Facts that I still need are more statistics and further proof that kids become developmentally AND emotionally stinted if they spend most of their developmental periods with their eyes glued to a bright screen, whatever it may display.

No comments:

Post a Comment