Friday, February 21, 2014

Blog #4 A.K.A "Hey! Look! I'm catching up."

Was this blog due before the annotated bibliography? Now that I read over the prompt for this blog, I kinda wish I did it before I attempted anything else. I suppose it could still help in the long run.

My first source advocated creating a balance between time spent around technology and time spent with actual human beings. This is most important for children as they undergo important developmental periods.
It was in this source that I learned that children have two important stages of development-- one that begins from birth to age six and another that begins at age eleven until thirteen. And it is definitely not good to put a kid in front of a t.v for a couple of hours that you could be playing with it and imparting your human behaviors on them. A t.v is not a baby-sitter and while a kid won't come out acting like a t.v, they'll kind of just end up lacking in cognitive skills and empathetic reactions.

The second article did a lot to back up the first and added to it as well by touching on how too much technology can affect a kid as they grow beyond primary developmental stages. They start spacing out in class, fail at socializing, and begin misbehaving as well. This article reminds me of arguments that I hear all the time about kids who play too many video games end up becoming aggressive teenagers, or worse yet, aggressive children.

The last article takes an interesting spin on things by switching the perspective and giving us the point of view from a group of kids all aged from 11-17. We hear the stories from parents all the time, but this article gives us a different look at how kids in the above stated age range react to the amount of indecency in technology these days. It has become common place to explore your sexuality from behind a bright little screen on your phone, but that's not the only thing that kids are being exposed to and a lot of them tell their own little stories of experiences they've had in being exposed to indecency on the web. A lot of them have become desensitized to it. It's too common for them to care.

With the information I've gathered, I've come to the conclusion that I need to slightly tweak my argument. Now writing about the behavioral problems in kids who spend too much time using entertainment technology sounds a lot easier than writing an argument about the difficulties in raising kids in a world where entertainment technology rules. It still kinda has the same ring to it, but I feel the newer argument is a bit more specific and finding sources for it might be easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment