Friday, January 17, 2014

Who I am, What I do, What I love.

Hey readers, my name is Krystal and this is where I'll be, apparently, posting a lot of stuff for my English 1302 class. I'm a Freshman at West Texas A&M University in Canyon, Texas and I have just started Spring semester. My major is Music Therapy and I realize that not a lot of people know what that is exactly, so I'll tell you a little about it.

Music therapy, as I've begun to understand it, is the use of music in a therapeutic setting. This definition seems really vague and simple, but as I've just started on my venture to become a music therapist, that's how I've come to understand what it is.

Music has been proven to heal, sedate, and stimulate and can be used in various settings, from helping the elderly to keep their minds active and retain memories, to helping underdeveloped children develop their motor skills.

I came across this while trying to decide which path I should take in my college education. Should I continue with music, which has been my passion since I was 9? Or should I go into psychology, help those who need it, as I've always loved? Music therapy mixes both, splendidly.

Apart from my passion for music and human behavior, I love the English language, literature, and definitely writing.

My mind is always spinning and grinding its gears and I like to jot down every idea on paper. I love to write and I appreciate the writing of others. It's in the flow of the words from which my attraction stems.

I could write, and write, and write.

However, I do dislike writing for school assignments. Some topics stifle creativity or don't pique my interest enough. I write because it's fun, not because I have to do research on something. Alas, as a college student, it's not something I can help. Oh well!

1 comment:

  1. It's great that you like to write! I think the secret of making that work for assignments is finding something interesting in as many of your writing assignments as you can and focusing on what you care about.

    ReplyDelete